finger food,

{ Recipe } Chicken Sausage Rolls

April 25, 2014 Unknown 0 Comments



I am pretty sure you won't disagree if I say sausage rolls are one of the most popular finger food in Australia. From what i observe, sausage rolls are always quick to run out if not the first.

What makes sausage rolls so popular? Umm... honestly, I have no idea... ha! I am not a big fan, but if I do like sausage rolls, I think I like the flakiness of the pastry, easy to eat and I can dip into a pool of tomato sauce (any kind actually... doesn't really matter to me).

This is a healthier version from Louise Fulton Keats featured in taste.com.au magazine. I promise you will enjoy this classic dish in a healthier way :D But I think I just make it not as healthy as it supposed to be... You will know when you read the ingredients I used.


   
Chicken Sausage Rolls   

makes 36 | prep & cook 60 mins | western

{ adapted via taste.com.au magazine november 2013 }


[ Ingredients ]


Bread Dough

2 tsp olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 slices (80 g) wholemeal bread, torn - you can use stored brought bread crumb
500 g chicken tenderloins, chopped - i used chicken mince
1/4 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
1 (about 120 g) zucchini, finely grated
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
3 sheets frozen reduced-fat puff pastry, partially thawed, halved - umm... i don't really care if it is low-fat
1 egg, lightly whisked
1 tbsp sesame seeds


[ Method ]


1 Heat oil in a frying pan over low heat. Cook the onion and garlic, covered, stirring often, for 10 mins or until soft. Cool.



2 Process the bread to crumbs in a food processor. Place the bread crumb to a bowl and add the chicken mince, onion mixture, parsley, chives, zucchini, lemon juice and rind to the breadcrumbs. Season. Mix to combine.

point >> If you use the chicken tenderloins, process the chicken until a mince consistency forms.

 


3 Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced). Place one-sixth of the chicken mixture along the centre of each pastry piece. Brush the edges with water. Fold over the filling, pressing to seal.


 


4 Turn over the rolls, seam-side down. Brush with egg. Top with sesame seeds. Cut each into 6 pieces. Place on lined trays. Bake for 25 mins or until cooked. Serve with tomato sauce or your favourite dipping sauce.

point >> I misread the recipe... haha... what's new! I did not cut the pastry in half... so I use the whole sheet of puff pastry to make this gigantic sausage rolls. Thus, I did not have 36 rolls at the end! ha!


 
 



[ More Sausage Rolls ]

I am just so in love with the look of the puffy sausage rolls...
so I took million of photos of it... here just some of those....

 
 
 
 



[ Kitchen Notes ]
  • You can freeze them for a quick mid week dinner fix with some salad!

[ Post Notes ]
  • This recipe is for my own record. If you use this recipe and would like to include in your blog, please be nice and credit the original source: taste.com.au magazine november 2013.
  • The point below each step is either my experience or extra information from the original recipe. Hope it can help you to understand the step better :)


HOMEMADE IS ALWAYS THE BEST

♥  BON APPÉTIT 

HAPPYPEAREATS

X



0 comments: