breakfast • brunch,

{ Recipe } Chorizo & Broccoli Quiche

March 24, 2014 Unknown 0 Comments



Early this year, our dear friend Nadyne came back from her six months business trip, so we decided to have meet up before she went on her next trip. Since two in our group have got kids, I thought meeting outside would be hard and we possibly won't have much time to catch up. Therefore, I was so brave to put my hand up and suggested to meet up for brunch at my place!

I have never cooked for seven adults plus three kids before. However, I do love being around with people. Well, it turned out not bad. Actually, I would say it was good! Considering, I have no experience at all :D So, that was a big proud moment for me when I put up the food on the table.

I always want to cook a nice breakfast / brunch to Mr. Pear and friends. This was the perfect time! A week before the brunch I tried to think about the menu and thought about if I could have enough time to prepare all the these that I wanted to cook. I was stressed, but a good one! I love the challenge! So, these were the dishes on the menu (clockwise):

  • Chorizo & broccoli quiche
  • Egg salad buns
  • Pancakes with blueberry compote
  • Curry chicken salad sandwiches



This is my first ever quiche from scratch. My first batch of the pastry was a disaster. I did not know what went wrong but the tart came out was ugly (but it still tasted good). So, I quickly did another batch and put it in the fridge and finished the rest in the next morning.

 The second batch was not looking great but it was so much better. I love the tart pastry, very crunchy! I will definitely make it again for weeknight dinner!




    Chorizo & Broccoli Quiche    

serves 4-6 | prep 3 hours (+ 1 hour chilling) | cook 30 mins | French

{ adapted via Cafe Brunch 期天的料理時光 by 鄭榮仙, p. 57 }


[ Ingredients ]


Pie Dough

70 g bread flour 
80 g cake flour
90 g cold butter
2 g salt
5 g sugar
50 g cold water 

Filling

2 chorizo - any sausages of your choice
1/2 broccoli
1/2 onion
50 ml milk
100 ml pouring cream
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
salt & pepper to taste


[ Method ]

1 Sieve both bread and cake flour together and rub in cold butter to combine.

point >> If you don't have cake flour and bread flour, you can simply use all purpose flour as substitute.  


 


2 Add in salt, sugar and cold water. Knead well and form a dough. Use cling wrap to wrap the dough and put it in the fridge for about 1 hour.


 


3 Roll out the dough to 0.3 cm thick pastry and place on the tart mould. 

point >> I used the rolling pin to roll up the dough and place on the tart mould. I found this is easier to place the dough, as after rolling out the pastry it was very soft and easy to distort the shape which will also affect the thickness of the pastry. 


 



4 Place aluminium foil or baking paper on the pastry and use baking weights or beans to blind bake the tart base at 180°C (160°C fan-forced) for about 15 mins. Then take away the aluminium foil and baking weights and bake for a further 10 mins.


 




5 Cut sausages and broccoli into bite-size. Slice the onion and saute until transparent.


6 Place ingredients in step 5 on the tart base. Mix pouring cream, milk, egg yolk and egg until well combined and pour into the tart. Add salt and pepper to taste. Then place the tart in the oven at 180°C (160°C fan-forced) for 30 mins.


 

ta da! the final product! 



♥  bon appétit :)



[ Post Notes ]
  • This recipe is for my own record. If you use this recipe and would like to include in your blog, please be nice and credit the original source: Cafe Brunch 期天的料理時光.
  • The point below each step is either my experience or extra information from the original recipe. Hope it can help you to understand the step better :)

0 comments: