desserts,

{ Recipe } Chuanbei and Egg Sweet Soup 川貝雞蛋甜湯

April 03, 2013 Unknown 0 Comments



I was talking with mum the other day and my voice was really bad and I knew I just can't lie to her that I was  feeling fantastic... I have been coughing, sneezing and having a runny nose since Easter... I coughed until like my lungs were coming out from my chest. Worst cough ever!!! I am glad that I called mum that day... She taught me to cook this soup and it helps to soothe the bad cough. She told me dad drank that one time and he got so much better. So I took mum's advice and cook this soup. It was fun to have an interesting conversation with mum when she tried to teach me how to cook it.

Mum: here are the ingredients: 3 eggs.
Me: So 3 hard boiled eggs or raw eggs with shell?
Mum: Just 3 raw eggs. Then, 3 dried whole citrus peels. 
Me: So am I cook the raw eggs together with other ingredients?
Mum: Yes... and 8 dried honey dates... (mum started to get annoyed) 
Me: What? 8 dried honey dates? Would it be too sweet? How much water you are putting in?
Mum: Can you just let me finish before you ask questions? I don't even finish the recipe! You keep asking questions, how am I supposed to finish telling you the recipe? So can continue?
Me: Okay! 

Then, we both burst out laughing... Yes, that's me... Sometimes, I can be quite annoying... haha... So blessed that Mr. Pear can bear with all my nonsense... = , =|||

Anyway, mum finally finished the recipe after she lost her temper to me... So I did learnt this recipe a hard way! hehe... I made this the other night and I forced Mr. Pear to drink with me together as he started to have some cough... and Mr. Pear said he loves it! 

Though this soup quite worked for me (at least I did not have the chest pain when I coughed), the effectiveness is varied from different individuals.

   Chuanbei and Egg Sweet Soup   
{ mum's recipe }
serves 2 | prep 5 mins | cooking 1 hour | Chinese

[ Ingredients ]


3 eggs
3 dried whole citrus peels 原塊果皮
8 dried honey dates 蜜棗
15 g dried south almond 南杏
15 g dried north almond 北杏
20 g chuanbei 川貝


[ Method ]

1 Put all ingredients in a medium pot (except the chuanbei) and cover with 6 bowls of water under medium high heat until the eggs are cooked. Meanwhile, put the chuanbei in a small processor and blend it into small pieces.

step 1a: put everything in the pot (except the chuanbei)
step 1b: process the chuanbei into small pieces

2 Take out the eggs and peel the shell off. After that put the peeled eggs and the blended chuanbei in the pot and cook together with other ingredients under medium high heat. When the water reduced to 2 bowls of water, then you are done. Simple! :D

[ Kitchen Notes ] 

¶ Mum said to blend the chuanbei into smaller pieces can help to release the taste from chuanbei quicker.
¶ Remember to wash your eggs before cooking. 



  bon appétit  :)

0 comments: