desserts,

{ Recipe } Apple Tarte Tatin

April 15, 2013 Unknown 0 Comments



Do you still remember the Easter dinner that I mentioned before? On that day, I made crème caramels for dessert. Since I was not sure how crème caramels will turn out, I made this dish for my backup plan.  I was so stressed on the day. I was so worried what if crème caramels did not turn how it should look and how it should taste... then I failed my guest... Though I had this backup plan, making two desserts was actually killing me. However, I was so glad that I made two desserts, as they both turn out really good and my guests loved them! I was over the moon! :))))

There was a little hiccup when I made this apple tarte tatin. I burnt the sugar!! Oh, no!!! What an unforgivable mistake! Before the guests came, I was trying to multitask myself... cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, blah blah blah... I kinda overestimated my efficiency! I put the sugar in the pan and left the kitchen and try to do something else which I should not do. I should watch the sugar closely because it is the most important part of the whole dish! And that is how it got burnt...

Again, as I was too busy with cooking for the night, I kinda forget to take pictures :((( And I almost forgot to take this finished product... as you can see, there is only a small on the plate... hopeless!! X_X


   Apple Tarte Tatin   
serves 2 | prep 10 mins | cook 30 mins | French 

[ Ingredients ]

3 golden delicious apple
1 tbs lemon juice
1/2 cup (110 g) caster sugar
20 g unsalted butter, chopped
ready-rolled puff pastry sheet
cream, to serve

[ Method ]

1 Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C  fan-forced).

2 Peel apples, cut into quarters, remove cores (cutting each quarter at the core so it has a "flat" side), and toss the quarters in a large bowl with the lemon juice and 1 tbsp of sugar.

3 Using 20 cm frying pan as a guide, cut pastry into a round slightly larger than the pan, prick with a fork.

4 Melt butter in a 20 cm non-stick frying pan over medium-hight heat. Cover with the remaining sugar. Cook over medium-low heat, shaking pan occasionaly to spread around any dark spots that appear, until a rich caramel forms.

5 Place apple quarters into pan, rounded side down, arranging them around pan. Cut remining apple to fill gaps. Cook the apples over medium heat for about 10 mins until caramel is bubbling up in the pan, shaking pan occasionally to prevent burnt spots

6 Lay the pastry over the apples, tucking any protruding edges around edges of pan

7 Place the pan in the oven, cook for about 25 mins, or until the puff pastry has risen and cooked. The pastry should be dry and flaky. Stand tarte in pan for 10 mins before carefully turning out onto a serving plate. Serve with cream. 

[ Kitchen Notes ]

¶ The main pressure point of this recipe is to caramelise the sugar. Other than that, this is actually not a difficult dish to cook at all :D

  bon appétit  :)

0 comments: