cake,

{ Recipe } Dark Chocolate Cupcake with Peanut Butter Frosting

January 24, 2014 Unknown 0 Comments


This actually happened in August last year. Yes, after that I was pretty occupied with different things and that is why I have been MIA… and I didn't think about this until now - making a good use of my commuting time on the bus. Do I get motion sickness? Not really, otherwise I will be really bored on the bus... haha.

Anyway, in early June (of course last year), a close friend of mine asked if I could bake some cupcakes for her wedding. She would like to have chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting and vanilla cupcake with strawberry buttercream. I know what you are thinking, you must think I must be very good at baking and friends keep asking me to bake for their special occasions.

I can honestly tell you that I am nowhere close to good, but I am persistent and determined. I like to challenge myself and try my best to achieve result. However, it only happens when I am interested. Heh~

I had not been baking back then as my oven was a bit old and the heat sneaks out from the oven. How can I bake a good cake with this oven? Plus, I have never decorated a cupcake! Can you believe it? So me being me, I was freaking out. Therefore, I started to practise with the RSPCA cupcake day and the result was amazingly good. 

This cupcake is rich like brownies together with the peanut butter frosting. Tell me, who can resist such a perfect combination? 

* Sorry, I was too concentrated to make this mini cupcakes, so I forgot to take the step by step photos. 


   Dark Chocolate Cupcake with Peanut Butter Frosting  

makes 25 mini cupcakes | prep 15 mins | cook 20 mins | Western

{ cupcake via Master Chef The Ultimate Entertainer, p. 88 }
{ topping via Eat Your Heart Out }


[ Ingredients ]

Chocolate Cake 
400 g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped (or half milk half dark)
4 eggs
100 g caster sugar
75 g plain flour, sifted
300 ml thickened cream, lightly whipped

Peanut Butter Frosting
45 g butter, softened at room temperature
140 g smooth peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
25 g icing sugar, sifted
2 tbsp whipping cream


[ Method ]

For the cake

1 Preheat oven 170°C. Line cupcake tin with cupcake cases.

2 Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, stir occasionally. Cool for 10 mins

3 Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale.

4 Add cooled chocolate and beat until well combined. Using a large metal spoon, gently fold in flour, followed by cream.

5 Divide mixture between moulds. Bake 20 mins or until a skewer inserted in the center and come out clean.

6 Cool in moulds for 10 mins, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.


For the topping

7 Mix the butter and peanut butter together with a spatula until well combined.

8 Add the vanilla extract and mix. Then add the sugar gradually until incorporated.

point>> taste the sweetness of the mixture each time you add more icing sugar.

9 Using a piping bag with a star tip, swirl the frosting on the cupcakes.



♥  bon appétit :)


[ Kitchen Notes ]
  • These cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container for a couple of days in the fridge.
[ Post Notes ]
  • This recipe is for my own record. If you use this recipe and would like to include in your blog, please be nice and credit the original source: Master Chef The Ultimate Entertainer and Eat Your Heart Out
  • If there is any point below the step, they are either my own experience or tips from the original recipe and would like to share with you in case you have the same or similar situation. 


0 comments: