cake,

{ Recipes } Black Forest Cake

February 25, 2015 Unknown 0 Comments




This is a kids friendly version of black forest cake. I made it for our connect Christmas party last year (plus a surprise cake for my dear friend). Since there are few kids and two pregnant ladies in the party, I decided to make a non-alcohol version of this cake.

I don't usually make the same thing more than once, because I like to try different things. If I ever make it again, it is either I really really love it (mango sago, which I will post later) or I really really want to conquer it (e.g. macaron). Nothing in between.

Sometimes, I don't know where I got this braveness from, but I always try to make new thing if I am going to a bring-a-plate party. It is not because I am so confident in my skill, this is only simply because I have a reason to make new and more complicated things. It is more a motivation to challenge myself, as I know I will only have one chance, otherwise, I am totally screwed and got nothing to share on the day (my plan B is always take away pizza lol).

Before Christmas, I bought a box of nice cherries from Garden City. To be honest, I know I am not going to finish it before it got rotten. I had to think a way to finish it before it happened. Then, black forest cake came across my mind. I wanted to make this for a long time and I know Mr. Pear like to eat chocolate cake. So, it was a win-win situation.

As I said, I was brave enough to make the cake on the day right before the party for the very first time. I would not have the luxury to redo if it stuffed. Therefore, I paid extra attention to every single step of the recipe. After the cake was out from the oven, I was not very happy as it looked so dry.

However, I really did not have time to make another one, so I still put the cake together and bought it over to the party.

Surprisingly, the cake came out very moist and it tasted just as nice as the store bought cake! I seldom say my food is good, as I was taught from young that this is not humble. But, I just can't help myself after the first bite of the cake... "It is so yummy!!!" I said that with an unbelievable tone, as I knew how it looked like before it got assemble. The result was brilliant and most of my friends liked it! Success! Yes! :D 


   Black Forest Cake    

serves 8-10 | prep  30 mins | cook 45-50 mins | German

{ adapted via Carol自在生活 }


[ Ingredients ]


Cake Batter
5  egg yolks from the fridge 
20g caster sugar
30g vegetable oil
50g milk 
70g cake flour, sifted
20g cocoa powder

Meringue
egg white (no trace of egg yolk, water or oil)
5ml lemon juice
60g caster sugar 

Decoration
30 fresh cherries, stalk attached, 
200ml thicken cream
16

g caster sugar 
a pack of dark chocolate, grated
icing sugar to dust (optional)

Syrup
10 g caster sugar 
20ml hot water

point >> If you want to make an adult version, you can add 1/2 tbsp cherry liqueur in the syrup mixture


[ Method ]

1 Preheat oven to 160°C.

point >> Oven temperature are for reference only, as different oven may vary. Best to have the oven thermometer


2 Mix egg yolk, caster sugar, vegetable oil and milk from the ingredients listed under "cake batter" with a whisk until combined.



3 Mix cake flour and cocoa powder in the same bowl until combined.




4 In another mixing bowl, whisk the egg white until bubbles comes out and add lemon juice and caster sugar (add slowly bit by bit or in two separate batches). Whisk until stiff peak.

point >> Better to use a hand held mixer or a stand mixer. Just to make your life easier and quicker.




5 Put about 1/3 of the meringue into the chocolate batter and mix until combined. Then pour the mixed chocolate batter into meringue. Using a spatula to mix from bottom to top.

 
 


6 Pour the batter into a 8" cake mould. Tap the bottom of the mould against the kitchen bench few times so as to let the air release from the batter. Place the mould to the oven and bake for 45-50 mins or until insert a skewer in the cake and come out clean. 

point >> Better to check the cake 5-10 mins before the recommended minimum time.


I used two moulds so I don't need to cut the cake


7 Remove from oven and let it cool down in the mould before taking the cake out. 





8 Mix the syrup ingredient together and brush the syrup evenly on the surface of the cake. Whip thicken cream to stiff peak and add the caster slowly while whipping (DO NOT over whipped the cream). Cover the first layer of cake with whipped cream and cut the cherries in half and pitted (save about 10 cherries for topping) and place all over the first layer. Then, place the second layer on top of the cherry filled layer. 


point >> There is no need to use all the syrup.


 


9 Using a spatula to cover the whole cake with cream. Tap grated chocolate all over the cake and top with the remaining cherries. Optional: sprinkle the icing sugar on the cherries to make it more Christmassy. 






[ Post Notes ]
  • This recipe is for my own record. If you use this recipe and would like to include in your blog, please be nice and credit the original site: Carol自在生活.
  • The point below each step is either my experience or extra information from the original recipe. Hope it can help you to understand the step better :)



HOMEMADE IS ALWAYS THE BEST

♥  BON APPÉTIT 

HAPPYPEAREATS

X




OH wait! please don't forget to follow us on facebook for more updated and exciting adventures about HPE.
We don't want you to miss out! :D


0 comments: