mains,

{ Recipe } Oyakodon 親子丼

March 10, 2013 Unknown 0 Comments


I love Japanese food. Oyakodon (親子丼) is one of my all time favourite Japanese dish. It literally means parent and children rice. This is simply because this dish main ingredients are chicken (the parent) and egg (the children). What a meaningful dish! But at the same time, it sounds a bit sad... because both parent and son are cook for someone to eat... Oh no, I am getting too emotional... haha... Despite of this, I still love to eat this :P


   Oyakodon   
{ via Recipe of Japanese Cooking, p. 101 }
serves 2 | prep 5 mins | cook 10 mins | Japanese 
[ Ingredient ]



Ingredient A

100 g chicken thighs
1/2 onion
3 eggs
4 or 5 stalks trefoil (I did not use this)
2 bowls of rice

Ingredient B

4 1/3 tbsp chicken stock
2 tbsp sake
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp mirin
2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce

[ Method ]

1 Remove excess fat and skin from the chicken thighs, and shave into bite-sized pieces. Peel the onion, and slice thinly. Cut the trefoil stalks into 2-3 cm long. Beat the eggs lightly.

2 Add ingredient B a bowl and mix well.

3 Put the hot rice into individual bowls.

4 Put only a half of the liquid prepared in step 2 in a frying pan, and bring to the boil. Add half of the chicken thigh pieces and onion slices, and simmer.

5 Pour a half amount of the eggs gently along the circular edge of the simmering sauce, and cover. Simmer for about 30 seconds while shaking the pan gently. Scatter half of the trefoil stalks, and turn off the heat. Put everything onto the rice in one of the bowls. Repeat step 4 and 5 for the other portion.

 

[ Kitchen Notes ]

¶ If you think it is too trouble to cook the chicken one by one, you can put the chicken in a big ban and pour all the ingredients and follow the recipe. I did it like that cause I think it's too time consuming... After all, I think I am really lazy... hehe

¶ Normally, oyakodon gives a lot of moist and sauce, I guess I cooked too long... haha.. Because I didn't follow the recipe... um...

  bon appétit  :) 

0 comments: