sides

{ Recipe } Cucumber Kimchi

March 25, 2013 Unknown 0 Comments


I love Korean food especially their side dish. Whenever I go for a Korean barbecue, I keep asking the staff to refill the side dish, be it the potato salad, the seaweed salad and the wombok kimchi. I just can't stop eating them. Among all kimchi I have ever tried, the cucumber kimchi is my next favourite after wombok Kimchi. :D

Do you want a little bit of spice tonight? I absolutely do!


   Cucumber Kimchi   
make 12 | prep 1 hour | cooking 10 mins | Korean

[ Ingredients ]

6 Lebanese cucumbers *
4 cups water
4 tbsp sea salt
1/2 small bunch of Asian chive, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cups carrots  sliced into thin matchsticks *

For the filling

1 tbsp salted shrimp
2 tbsp cooked white rice
1/4 cup water
3 garlic cloves
1 piece of ginger, size of a garlic clove
1 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup Korean chili flakes
4 tbsp fish sauce *

* where I used different ingredients from the original recipe

[ Method ]

The below is for reference only, for a proper full version of the recipe, please click here and click photo to enlarge the image.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

[ Kitchen Notes ]

¶ To avoid irritation from the chili, it is recommended to use gloves when stuffing the cucumber :)

  bon appétit  :)

0 comments: