finger food

{ Recipe } Spicy Kale Chips

May 27, 2013 Unknown 0 Comments


Some time ago I bought a voucher from Living Social for a fruit and veggie store which I can buy things up to A$40 for only A$20. Yesterday was the day I shopped for all the beautiful and fresh fruits and veggies :D

Then I came across a brunch of kale while I was walking down the aisle. I remembered I saw kale many places... Pinterest, blog and website... It is a super food and a hardy food for winter :) Since there are so many people talking about kale, I wanted to know more about this super food, so I took one in my grocery basket. And here we go to explore this special vegetable.

When I got home, I looked at it... I was like, ummm... How should I cook this? Stir fry? Cook in soup? Or what? Then, Lianne's blog came into my mind. I remembered I read about the kale chips post from her blog, so I quickly went there to see if I have the ingredients to make it.

Surprisingly, this kale chips was super easy to make. I did not have the exact ingredients that the recipe called for, but I followed most of the steps from the post :))) and it was a great success, it was crunchy and it was super additive as Lianne warns us in her blog!!! :D
   Spicy Kale Chips   
serves 4 | prep 5 mins | cook 10-15 mins 

[ Ingredients ]

1 bunch of kale
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp Japanese seven spice powder *
2 tbsp toaste sesame seeds
1 tbsp olive oil

[ Method ]

1 Preheat oven to 150°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Trim the tough stems from the kale and discard. Cut the larger leaves into smaller pieces (about 2 inches); leave the small pieces whole.


 

2 Place the leaves in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Give it a good toss. Season with salt, Japanese seven spice powder and toasted sesame seeds. Give it another good toss, to make sure the leaves are well coated.


3 Arrange the kale on the baking sheets in a single layer and bake for 10 minutes before rotating and bake for another 5 minutes until crispy. Remove the trays from the oven and allow them to cool for a couple of minutes. Transfer to a large serving bowl.


[ Kitchen Notes ]
  • Depends on how crispy you want, the time can be varied. I reckon my one was a bit too crispy... the one that I made straight melt in my mouth... I would love to give a few bites before it melt :D hehe 
  • This is a super health choice than any packet chips. The best thing is this is fry-free and it is definitely a kid friendly recipe. Go get your kid's hand dirty to make some health food and to have some fun. 
♥  bon appétit :)

0 comments: